Thursday, July 17, 2008

the cost of living

I've recently been apartment hunting to try to lower my expenses. Mind you, my current apartment runs me $465 a month for my studio, storage in the basement and a parking spot and includes heat and water; factor in electric, total of $500.

Why would I move?

To save money.

My commute to work is 50 round trip, 5 days a week. 250 miles, almost all highway.

My car gets better than 30 miles per gallon, so just on driving to work alone, per month, I spend $133 (figured at $4 a gallon/30 MPG).

I've got a lead on a place in Oconomowoc, 4 miles from work. Eight miles a day round trip. Forty miles a week. $585 a month, heat AND electric included.

So what's the problem?

I currently live 3 miles away from my girlfriend. This is the woman I want to marry. Currently, our schedules only allow us to see each other a couple of times a week, Thursdays for laundry at her folk's house, and a couple of days during the weekend.

Now it's a scheduling issue, but if I move 30 west, it's a logistics issue.

Would I be saving enough money to make it all work out?

2 comments:

Chris H said...

On first glance, I would say you would be able to save money moving.

You're currently making 5 round trips per week to work.
If you moved, you'd be making say... an average of 2.5 round trips per week to Holly (this is assuming she's inclined to come see you once in awhile). Of course, if she is so inclined, it'll increase HER gas expenses.

Seems to me like you'd be saving money on gas, at least.

Now you and Holly need to talk out whether the extra driving is going to be a factor for her.

Just my own quick glance.

Diane said...

It does get complicated, doesn't it? Factor in the distance to church, any visits to friends closer to Milwaukee and the weekly laundry run, and the financial gain evaporates.

There are other ways to save - reevaluate your auto insurance and search for a lower rate/increase your deductibles, check to see what *really* constitutes a necessity, sell anything you don't currently use.

I went through all of this just over two years ago - needed to radically change my lifestyle and eliminate some debt. It's amazing not only how little I really needed to live on, but how God miraculously provided - even some of the extras.