Friday, February 12, 2010

Where do I go from here?

I lost my job today.

1:20 in the afternoon.

Turned in my keys and was walked out the door.

Why? The economy...if no one's building, no one's wiring, and that means parts aren't being sold.

Made some phone calls on my way home, first to my wife, then to the guys I've worked with at the store level for the last couple years. All the guys were shocked, to say the least.

Called my parents to let then know.

Filed for unemployment online.

I've never been let go from a job before, so it's all still sinking in.

Holly and I will talk through some things tonight, and Monday will feel really weird.

Where to from here?

1 comment:

Chris H said...

Sorry to hear about this change, Hohnerdude. Getting let go sucks.

What to do now? Well, as someone who's had to look more than once for a job in a bad economy, the first thing I do is pray. I pray hard and long; for patience, wisdom, and success - in that order.
Second, I tend to look at job hunting as a job in itself. So, I spend about 4 hours a day looking for a job, and 2 following up on applications, updating resumes, writing cover letters, etc. I know many people who just send an application here or there and then spend the rest of their day playing games. Your time is valuable.

I'll be praying for you guys. It's a blow to the ego to use unemployment, but it's there for a reason; now you have to earn it by working hard to stop using it. :P You're a conservative, after all!