Monday, January 30, 2012

Thinking things through

So often I want to write, and yet nothing comes out. Consider this post a drain cleaner of sorts, to get things moving.

I'm enjoying my job. Second shift makes things interesting schedule wise; actually, it fills up my calendar Monday through Friday. I've decided to not work Saturdays, unless we are crazy busy and need to get the work out. It was too much to work five nights a week, and then give up 5 hours during the middle of my Saturday as well. Financially, we'll be ok; I made sure to run the numbers several times before I committed to that decision.

I've been able to some people who's face I had been missing lately: my friend John and his wife Jen at dinner Saturday night; the guys in my Men's group at church that meets Saturday mornings; my wife.

I'm finding that I've been something of a nomad for many years. I don't feel particularly connected to almost anyone in my high school class since I moved into town my freshman year. I have a few people I still keep in touch with, but by in large, it's the people I went to grade school and junior high that I feel closer to, and even then, I don't feel terribly close to many of them.

I find it ironic that as much of a social person as I am, I'm horrible at keeping in touch with people I consider friends. It's not really that hard to shoot off a quick email, Facebook message, text, carrier pigeon....whatever. I just don't do it for some reason. I have people I hold dear to my heart and I haven't tried to contact them.

Family's different. I'm generally in touch with my parents and my sister. With my Mom and sister, it's generally text tag or phone calls after a text that says "you busy?" With Dad, it's usually a phone call or text saying "hey, we're staying at your house, ok?" with many hands of Shanghai Rummy played.

I have my Drinking Right friends, but even that was a monthly "hey, how's it going" for most of them.

Do I simply gloss over people and assume friendship, or do I isolate and insulate myself without really intending to?

There was a time in my life, about 10 years ago, when we had a group of young adults at church, in a group call The Gathering. I seem to recall about 20 of us that generally hung out together outside of our Tuesday night meeting. Catching movies, grabbing coffee....just hanging out. I miss that time so much at times it aches.

1 comment:

Diane said...

One of the things I hate most about how society has changed over the last thirty years is the increased mobility we see - you can no longer count on having the same neighbors for twenty years, friends who stay in town rather than taking a job far away, or even friends and family with similar work schedules.

The irony is that in spite of all the technology that could keep us in touch, we often do exactly what you describe - not taking advantage of it. We live increasingly in on-line snippets rather than in one another's lives.

Lonely in a crowd.