Tuesday, July 25, 2006

so what is it you DO anyway?

spent half of my work day in Menomonee Falls, opening the store we have there. Interesting to say the least.

So what do I do? I work for an electrical parts house. Hein is the last of the independents in Milwaukee. Everyone else has been bought and become part of a larger entity.

Here's what my job entails:
I work at the counter. An electrician comes in, and tells me what he needs for the job he's working on. I fetch the parts, write up the order, get a signature from the electrician and he's on his way. In between waiting on electricians, the other folks on the counter and I put stock away on our side of the warehouse. We also pick orders that the inside sales team writes up.

I generally enjoy what I'm doing now...it's just been a LOT to learn...basically everything about electrical distribution in homes and business, as well as data comm. Some days are frustrating because I don't know what the electrician is asking for, or I grab the wrong item for a contractor who's short on time and needs to get back to the jobsite.

Another part of my job that will increase as my knowledge increases: I'm the swingman. I cover other stores when someone needs a day off. I work primarily at the Mothership in Brookfield, but I've also worked at our stores in the Falls, Oak Creek, Downtown Milwaukee and Grafton. I've been to every store except West Bend at this point, as I do the nightly truck run on Friday nights. I do the south stock run to Pewaukee, Waukesha, Oak Creek and Oconomowoc. Basically, the stores order from Brookfield, we build the skids of stock and someone drives the North run and someone else drives the South run. I'll be learning the North run this week as well, just so I can be a backup in case of vacations, illness, whatever...

2 comments:

soulreavers said...

dang dude, are they prepping you for management or something? Learning everything there is to know about the company...no wonder your fried.

Unknown said...

in some ways yes...I could end up with my own store if I wanted to.