Wednesday, November 5, 2008

transitioning to a Mac

Yes, I've had a Mac before, but now I'm making the transition to a Mac as my day to day system.

Last Tuesday, my dell laptop died on me, or at least, started to. I did all the usual hardware troubleshooting and determined that the motherboard was failing. Start poking around on Craigslist here in Milwaukee and find a few good laptops for around $400. Spied a couple of Apple Powerbooks in that price range and started playing email tag.

I scored a 12" powerbook, 1.5 ghz for $415 with all the original discs and literature. I like the size and it's loaded out...dvd burner, bluetooth, etc.

I love the size to horsepower ratio. In a PC notebook, you generally don't get this kind of performance in a small notebook.

For the most part, the change wasn't too hard, as I've got Mac experience. My biggest thing is crossover with my Vista Media Center. If I want to drag a show I've recorded off of it and play it on my Powerbook, can I? For the most part, not yet. I'll keep looking for a solution.

I'm putting a call out to my current Mac-owning friends....what apps are you using?

No comments: