Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Time to be Thankful.

When this post hits, I will hopefully be on the runway at Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston about to take off for Milwaukee.

I've spent the last week in Lake Charles, Louisiana, working on a contract job that was supposed to start in Milwaukee on October 10th but has been delayed. I was contacted by the staffing agency holding the contract on Wednesday, November 16th at 3:30 in the afternoon asking if I could fly out to fill in at another site.

I conferred with Holly and, with her blessing, said I could go. Travel plans were quickly made by the agency and at 1:30pm on Thursday the 17th, I was bound for Lake Charles via Houston.

Both flights went well; the connector from Houston to Lake Charles was delayed about an hour, but by 8 pm, I was in Lake Charles.

I had contacted the local lead for the project and was told that Friday would be a partial day due to travel by the company guys. I had flown in just in time to cut out early...

I had the weekend in Lake Charles. I watched alot of TV, and Sunday made it a point to hit the local BW3s to catch the Packer game, and then returned to my hotel room to finish watching the Nascar race.

Monday night I was able to sample some local cuisine with the company guys at Steamboat Bill's. Shrimp never tasted to good! Fresh from the Gulf, breaded and fried.

Most evenings, Holly and I have either played text tag or Skyped to keep in touch. When Skyping, Holly would show her phone to Lumos and he would cock his head to one side, then the other trying to figure out why Daddy was in the phone.

I'm thankful I took this opportunity to travel and not only earn a paycheck, but also see a part of the world I had never before visited. I was able to spend Saturday in Houston catching up with a dear friend as well.

My friends, never take anything for granted, and be thankful for what you have, even if you don't think it's much.

No comments: