Thursday, December 18, 2008

Batton down the hatches!!

OK, so Wisconsin is due to get 6-12 inches of snow in what could be a pretty solid winter storm.

so what's the problem?

Nothing that I see, I mean, I live in Wisconsin and I expect snow in the wintertime. That means I need to make some adjustments to how I do things.

Snow makes travel interesting, so I add time to get to my destination. I start my car and give it a few minutes to warm up, not so much for me, but so that the oil has a chance to get out of the pan and lubricate my engine before I get up to speed.

I'm aware that traction isn't optimal, so I add extra distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me, watching my mirror and hoping the guy behind me is doing the same.

I'm aware that it's cold out, so I dress accordingly: heavy coat, gloves, hat if necessary, and boots. I keep a change of clothes at work in case I somehow fall and get dirty or wet.

I turn my headlights on whenever I'm using my wipers. I flash my lights at those who don't. I tend to have a problem seeing gray cars at twilight while there's a light snow falling; they may as well have a Romulan cloaking device on them.

I don't freak out when I hear that there's a "large" amount of snow coming, no matter what the weatherman/woman is telling me. I don't run to the store to stock up on supplies because I don't need to horde anything; I have enough in my cupboards to sustain me the 24-48 hours it may be in the event of a snowpocalypse.

I enjoy the snow; I love the quietness, even in the big city, of a scene wrapped in freshly fallen snow.

No comments: