Wednesday, February 4, 2009

books

When I was a kid, I used to consume books. I would read read read and then read some more, just because I loved it. I can't recall when that stopped for me, but it did.

I started reading for information more than pleasure, and once I got hooked on the internet, books were a thing of the past.

I found myself reading online, staring at a monitor, scrolling down news articles, then closing the tab and looking for my next information fix.

I was talking about this with Holly, and she strongly encouraged me to read for fun again. As luck would have it, she has all the Harry Potter books, and I had been wanting to read them.

Well, I'm now took books down and well into the third. My goal is to have all seven knocked out before the next movie hits theaters this summer.

3 comments:

Holly o:) said...

Are you enjoying them though? The sensation of tactile reading? Because if not, then there's no point in reading them in paper format.

Chris H said...

I'll try to say this gently:

The Wheel of Time series demonstrates that JK Rowling is mediocre at best.

Start with Eye of the World.

Harry Potter will vanish in the light of more substantial things.

Unknown said...

Holly, I do enjoy the feel of a book in my hands again, and being able sit/lay down and still read comfortably. Sure, I can balance my laptop on my chest and lay down, but it's awkward at best.


Chris, thanks for the heads up. I'm working on a "to do" list of books to read. Rowling literary merit aside, the Potter books are still a fun read.